Thursday, May 27, 2010

Small Talk: Long Walks, Commencement

Thursday, May 27, 2010.
Hinsdale Central High School's Seniors graduated today,
and therein lies a tale.

I. The Long Walk

My best friend and I decided to walk to another friend's house before graduation.
The trek was over two miles long.
The talk began as most pseudo-sister discourse goes
(think: colleges and men and all that is wonderful about both),
and then we decided to sit in the grass,
looking like perfect hitchhiker prostitutes
as I checked my aesthetic in the reflection of my DSLR's screen
(something I evidently overlooked when leaving the house)
on the side of the road.

I wonder whether or not anyone would stop for us
if we put our thumbs up.

II. Commencement

I enjoy spectating commencement ceremonies for two reasons.

The first is the hedonistic joy of learning friends' embarrassing middle names,
or which "Jacks" are really "Johns,"
and how many generations along.
The second is the congratulating part.
Plan of attack is as follows -

Flood the field. Walk around. Find someone you know. Give them your blessing. They will either hug you or give you a handshake. Hold on tightly to the ones that do the prior.

III. Epilogue

Congrats to all you 2010 Red Devils. Carry on, good folk, and always stay red.

No comments:

Post a Comment